Figeac

 

2020 (barrel sample) 98+p

Tasted in May 2021. 32% Merlot, 37% Cabernet Franc and 31% Cabernet Sauvignon. 13.9% alcohol. Fabulous nose of well-scented raspberries and redcurrants, classy and sophisticated, tremendous on the mid-palate with a constant stream of creamy berries and grained tannin. A great contribution of Cabernet Franc here. It’ll challenge the 2016 version to be the best vintage in recent times.

2019 (barrel sample) 98p

Tasted in June 2020. 30% Merlot + 34% Cabernet Sauvignon + 36% Cabernet Franc, 14.1% alcohol. Very complete with great build-up and precision. Both Cabernets were making their contributions perfectly, providing great minerality, depth and backbone. Cabernet Franc here is the best one they've harvested in the last 20 years! Merlot contributes to voluptuousness and creamy fruit. Best Figeac yet made by present staff – I think so! 

2018 97+p

Tasted twice - last time in February 2021. Consistent notes. 37% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc and 33% Cabernet Sauvignon. Dense and tight, closed at the moment (February 2021) and not revealing that much of the great things it possesses. However, there's no doubt in my mind that this wine's immense potential to become the best vintage for this property in the last 30 years. 

2016 (barrel sample) 97+p

Tasted in April 2017. 36% Merlot + 26% C.Franc + 38% C.Sauvignon. Velvety, distinguished and incredibly precise wine!

2015

2014

2013

2012

2001

1998 95p

Tasted in March 2017. This vintage at Figeac has a great reputation among wine-freaks and it was confirmed with aplomb when tasted in 2017. Sensual, classy, fruity and aromatic nose of cherries and raspberries, as sensual on the palate, deep, sophisticated and long. Really great effort for this property!

1996

1983 94p

Tasted in February 2020. Powerful nose of ripe raspberries, concentrated on the palate, showing great finesse and elegance, great complexity and depth. Quite a delightful wine.

1975 94p

Tasted in February 2020. This property has usually 66% Cabernet in the blend with half Cabernet Franc and half Cabernet Sauvignon. The remaining 34% is Merlot. Impressive length, complexity and structure. Sophisticated stuff. In full bloom right now. 

1966

 

Latest news

1. I spent two weeks in Bordeaux from mid-April to check out the 2021 vintage from the barrel. A review of 300+ tasted barrel samples has just been published on the 23rd of June 2022.

2. Impressions from my trip to Bordeaux in November 2021 are here - chapter "2021 Bordeaux" in "VINTAGES". Additional TNs from barrel samples of 2020 vintage tasted in Bordeaux - chapter "2020 FROM BARREL", in "VINTAGES".

3. 2019 vintage's TNs on 85 wines tasted in Bordeaux in November 2021  plus additional TNs on 120+ wines tasted in Copenhagen during January-March 2022, are published. Check out chapter "2019 BARREL/BOTTLE" in "VINTAGES".

4. Tasting notes concerning the 2018 vintage on wines tasted from the bottle in Bordeaux in November 2021- chapter "2018 IN BOTTLE" in "VINTAGES".

5. The Burgundy blog in the News chapter is a new feature, including impressions from Burgundy tastings/tasting dinners attended since November 2018. It'll also have impressions on tasted wines from Beaujolais' best winegrowers. I explored this wine area in April 2022 while tasting Morgon Cote du Puy from five producers in 2018 and 2019. A tasting of top cuveés from the same producers will follow in June 2022.

6. In addition to my website, I also post tasting notes to an excellent website run by Pekka Nuikki from Finland, www.tastingbook.com, where I have 11.000+ followers and 2.850+ TNs by mid-June 2022.